Update 13 for Vision launches Monday, 4th November 2019. Vision will be taken offline at 8 PM (GMT) and will remain offline for up to one hour while we complete the update. We'll notify all users when services are back online.
Create radial territories
Feature Pack 2 and above
We've been getting more and more requests to allow the creation of territories using a radius from a given location. The process is as simple as you'd expect from Vision; search for the starting point, set the radius, name it, and save it. And once saved, you can share radial areas just like any other area with full demographic detail and heat mapping.
Updating your data when a newer release is available
Since 2018, we've been working towards a feature that allows you to update your data when a newer release of information is available. The first iteration of this ships with Update 13.
Update my data?
When you subscribe to a country data pack, it generally includes access to base area layers (e.g. Postcodes and Administrative boundaries) and demographics. Over time, this data ages until it is recaptured and re-released (e.g. a Census). When that happens, we will make the new data available to you within your subscription, but we don't automatically update it for you.
Why don't you automatically update my data?
Technically, we could. However, imagine the following scenarios.
- You know Territory A is made up of 5 ZIP codes. In the next update, one of those ZIP codes became redundant and is removed.
- You know Territory B is made up of varying Postcodes which cover a specific town. In the next update, Postcode boundary changes mean that half that town no longer appears in the territory.
- You know Territory C contains 105,000 people. In the next update, Territory C now contains 94,000 people.
While changes and updates are synonymous with data, any of these scenarios can cause real business issues that are easily solved when you're made aware of them. By giving you control, your organisation can roll out these changes and identify any issues that need solving in a management timeframe.
When can I update my data?
With Update 13, there are no data updates to worry about. However, we wanted this feature to be ready when they are. Further instructions will be provided when we announce data updates.
Improvements and Bug fixes
- In line with the addition of radial layers, we've simplified the options when setting up a new layer.
- In sharing, selecting a demographic with a total value of zero did not update the heat mapping correctly. Selecting a demographic with a value of zero will now turn heat mapping off.
- Table view no longer displays the Classification column for some base area layers. Base areas do not have classifications.
- Table view no longer displays the Name column for some base area layers which contain areas that do not have separate name values.
- Exporting from table view no longer allows the option to export Custom Field values on base area layers. Those layers do not allow Custom Fields.
- In administration, any references to "Can make reports" in user permissions have been correctly updated to reference the change in name to Sharing in Update 12.
- Fixed an issue where using the enter key to initiate a search while hovering over a previous un-pinned search result caused that result's marker to be stuck on the map.
- Fixed an issue where classifications for locations that didn't override the icon colour showed as transparent in the information window. It now correctly uses the layer's default colour.
- Fixed an issue where clicking a location that was already highlighted in the information window did not centre on that location.
Article is closed for comments.